Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Plyometrics?

Back to the grind. The run that we did today (1/19/2010) was unbearable. It's the first time in the 2.5 weeks that I've been running that I had NO drive whatsoever to run. But we had a babysitter (THANK YOU NONNA!!) and beautiful weather, so how could I really sit at home and not get another outside run in? Jason and I both were struggling with some motivational issues. I took the advice of my brother and charged up the good old iPod with my "workout playlist" and we were on our way. Both my brother and my husband claim that my choice of workout songs suck...but how can you not get motivated by Bruce's "Born to Run" or "Play Something Country" by Brooks and Dunn? I've got a crazy assortment of songs on my iPod. Some are better to run to than others, I will readily admit that. Isn't that why there's a little button to push to go on to the next song? Along the run Jason and I enjoyed giving my mom and her friend Sue a little jolt by peeping in their office window at Snyder Funeral Home. They were both concentrating hard on a fax that had just come in and Jason and I waited patiently with our heads in the window until they looked up. Without expecting someone to be at the window, they both gasped and gave a little start until they realized that it was just Jason and me. I believe we could have gotten into some trouble if we hadn't said a quick hello and continued on our run! We wove in and out through Millersville University, with students now abundant on campus due to school being back in session. I had thought that stopping at the George Street cafe would be a nice treat after the run and that the cool down walk back to Nonna's house would be perfect, but by the time we got to the cafe, I was in no mood for any kind of coffee drink. (Probably a good thing...) Jason also decided that we were going to do different plyometric exercises up the hill to the fire station including sidestepping, bunny hops and skipping. I changed exercises each time he instructed me. Ugg. What torture! But I'm feeling better each time I do it. We jogged the downhill back to Julia and I sprinted the last tenth of a mile to the house. 3.05 miles in 43:03. I suppose that's not too shabby for having an off day and no motivation.

At the same time, my friend Jenny introduced me, or actually reminded me, of some good leg exercises to do. I haven't done these exercises in years, but performed them several times on a weekly basis from the age of 7 until the age of 14. They are exercises performed at the barre in ballet class. Demi plies and gran plies. Forgot how much they burn after you've done them for awhile, but GREAT for leg tone. I'll be adding these to my workouts. (I've been doing the demi plies when brushing my teeth). I don't remember my knees cracking as much as they are now when I used to do them! THANKS for the tip JENNY!

No comments:

Post a Comment