Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Breaking the Barrier

A little late with this post, but writing none-the-less. Jason and I went for a run in the wonderful sunshiny weather on Saturday. Although still cold, it was the warmest day that I've ran outside to date. I struggled with the question of what to wear...do I bundle up or do I leave a few layers at home this time? Decisions, decisions...I decided to bundle up with the same layers that I normally do because Jason pointed out that if the wind begins to blow or we begin our cool down, we will get cold. Yes, hubby, good point, I think, as I put my bergalene long underwear on underneath the pants that I've decided to wear for this run. And on with the pink Patriots beanie as well. We start off (in the car) for the in-laws house in Millersville, as this is where we've decided to run again. About 3 miles from home we realize that we've forgotten the Garmin Forerunner on the dining room table and make a quick U-turn to retrieve it. (Did I mention that was the second thing that we've gone back into the house for?) My mom was laughing at us because we just couldn't make it out of the house that afternoon. Once to Millersville, we park and make our running plan to be roughly the same route that we took last week with a few minor additions. We speed walk up the hill on Herr Avenue and begin running a little further up, making a left onto Landis. I have been informed that I'm supposed to tell my trainer (hubby) when I'm feeling like I can't run anymore. So, about 10 minutes further into our run, I tell him with a sniffled "uggg" between breaths, that I've about had it. I was thinking to myself that he would say, "Okay, let's fast walk again," but instead, he proclaims, "Alright, keep running." WHAT?! That's definately not what I want to do! But I did it. I pushed harder, and although I felt like I could have fast walked faster than I was running at that point, I continued on, "breaking that barrier" as Jason so eloquently put it as we ran down High School Avenue. As we approached the hill at Beimsderfer Stadium, Jason notifies me that I've done my first non-stop 1.5 miles. WhoooHooo!! What a rush that was! It was truly amazing how pushing through that barrier and continuing to run and getting to that mile and a half felt. There is a point where you feel like you want to stop, and if I didn't have someone there with me, I probably would have. It's that whole mind game that you have to play within yourself to keep you going. I'm not good at that part yet, but I'm sure with the help of Jason, I'll get through it. (Thank goodness I didn't have to do the hills at Crossgates, I think I really would have died doing them!) We ended up running 3.68 miles in 48:10. My hustle at the end was less than impressive but I made it!

Laughing point during this run: I got warmed up and decided to take my beanie off to let some heat out...and instead of holding onto it and stuffed it into the left side of my pullover fleece. About a mile or so later in the run, Jason looks over at me and starts laughing. I ask him what's so funny and he replies, "I had to look at you twice. You have this lump on the left side of your chest and I thought to myself, geez, we need to get her some new sports bras, those aren't providing her any support!" Ha ha ha! Leave it to my husband to be concerned about my "support."

No comments:

Post a Comment